AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan
It is important that you have extended health and dental coverage while you are in Canada.
- All UBC students (domestic and international) who pay AMS fees are automatically enrolled in the AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan.
- To verify that you are enrolled, check your fees on UBC Student Service Centre and look for the "Med/dent fee."
If you are an exchange student and you pay tuition at your home university, you are not automatically enrolled in the AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan. You may, however, be eligible to apply once you arrive at UBC. It is important that you have extended health and dental coverage while you are in Canada. Visit the Health & Dental Plan Office on campus for more information (SUB, lower level, Room 61).
How do I enrol my family?
You may choose to enrol your family in the AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan. New Term 2 students can enrol their spouse and/or dependants within the first three weeks of Term 2 classes. Common law and same-sex couples are eligible. See the plan website for deadlines.
What does the AMS/GSS Health & Dental plan cover?
Among other benefits, the AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan covers:
- up to 80% of the cost of eligible prescription medications, after a $5.00 deductible per prescription;
- one eye examination per two policy years;
- the cost of a psychologist or counselling psychologist;
- vaccinations not covered by provincial MSP;
- travel health coverage; and
- dental benefits, including checkups, cleanings, fillings, root canals, gum treatments, and extractions.
If you are already covered by an extended health and dental plan, you can request to opt out of the AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan. If you register for Winter Term 1 and you want to opt out, you must do so within the first three weeks of classes or within the first three weeks of your registration date, whichever is later.
If you have financial concerns, you can apply at the start of term for a partial or full reimbursement of the extended health and dental plan fee online. The application for reimbursement requires detailed financial information.
For more information, visit ihaveaplan.ca, call toll-free 1.877.795.4421, or visit the Health & Dental Plan Office in Room 61 in the basement of the SUB. Information on benefits, opting out, answers to frequently asked questions, claim forms, and enrolment forms are all available on the website.