To attend UBC as an exchange student, you must be enrolled at one of UBC's partner universities. Your home university's exchange office will determine your eligibility for an exchange program – contact them for details on their application procedures.
Your application will also be reviewed by our office. Applications to study in Applied Science, Architecture, Commerce, Creative Writing, Education, Forestry, Graduate Studies, Kinesiology, Land and Food Systems, Landscape Architecture, and Social Work will be reviewed by the faculty or department. Admission to these programs is limited.
Acceptance to UBC is confirmed once your home university's exchange office receives your acceptance letter. We recommend that you do not purchase an airline ticket prior to receiving your official letter of acceptance.
- Ensure you meet UBC's English language requirements
- Review program and course restrictions
Read this information carefully to confirm which programs and courses are available to exchange students.
- Complete the online exchange application. Once your university has sent us your name and email address, we will email you the URL to our online application. Please submit your application by March 15. Once you have submitted the online application, you will receive a confirmation email indicating your UBC student number.
- Submit your application documents (e.g., transcript) to your home exchange office. Have your home exchange office forward all required documents to UBC by March 15.
- Apply for a Campus-Wide Login (CWL) account
This is required in order to complete UBC's online housing application, and you will need this log in later to check your registration and pay your fees.
- Visit the CWL Sign Up page.
- Select Student and Alumni from the list of choices.
- Follow the instructions to complete the application. Your default Student Service Centre password is set to your 6 digit date of birth in the order of yymmdd (e.g. 920111).
- Complete the online housing application
Space in on-campus housing is in high demand; please apply by March 15. The housing application will ask you to rank your residence choices. While UBC makes an effort to place you in the residence of your choice, placement is based on availability.
Housing application tips:
- Go to the Housing and Conferences Online Service Centre and log in under “UBC New Applicants, Students, Staff with CWL ID.”
- Log in with the CWL you created in step 5
- Select “Application,” and then “Apply.”
- Select the application for the 2014/2015 Winter Session (14W).
- When asked for your faculty, enter “Exchange Program, year 1.”
- There is a $50 non-refundable application fee.
- The $800 housing deposit must be paid by Visa or MasterCard and is due upon acceptance of your room offer.
- We will inform the housing office whether you are coming for one or two terms as there is no place for you to indicate this on their application.